Thursday 26 March 2009

Cry me a River

Most of you who follow my blog will know that I soon become unemployed and am job hunting. So far without any success but we are still holding thumbs on that front.

I have never realised before how stressful looming unemployment is and how it can affect you in ways you just don't expect. I do feel sorry for my friends and housemates as I just start crying sometimes for no apparent reason.

Housemate: Can you please pass me the salt?

Miss M: Voice cracking from welling up It isn't anywhere near me!!!

Housemate: Umm Miss M it's fine, I can get it myself

Miss M: Tears starting now I know

Another evening on the telephone to Lopz at 3am in the morning

Lopz: Miss M are you ok? What's wrong?

Miss M: Wracked with sobs I DON'T KNOW!!! I JUST FEEL SO SAD!!!

Lopz: Do you want me to come round?

Miss M: Gasping for breath between the tears No I'll be fine, I just can't stop crying

*sighs*

My father upset me greatly today because he ended up speaking to a Line Producer in Cape Town who informed him that she has more work than she knows what to do with and that if my skill sets are what she is looking for she could "offer me a job before my plane hits the ground".

I don't know if I am ready to go home yet but if no job comes up soon in London I might just have too.

I don't know if I could leave my London Family quite yet.

I just don't know.

10 comments:

Pete said...

A guaranteed job in CT with the awesome weather - sometimes the grass can be greener on the other side!!! the yoo k has its perks but living in cape town is also fun

Hope you find something here if you want to stay

Anonymous said...

Its a nightmare at the moment, I've been job hunting since January for something... anything in London so I can escape Birmingham... still no luck! ARGH!

Something will come up though, we just got to have faith in karma and all that jazz :-)

kyknoord said...

Well, at least you have skill sets; that's one up on me. If I lose my job, I'm royally screwed.

The Divine Miss M said...

@thedailyspew - well it isn't guaranteed yet, still have to chat to the lady as she hasn't seen my CV.

I don't really want to leave :(

@ffg - Eeek seriously? That doesn't give me much faith :(

@kyknoord - You do have skills, skills in being a smart ass; aren't those wanted regularly?

po said...

Don't let it get to you! I was unemployed for ages and I questioned the point of my very existence. But eventually something came along and now I am all good and don't feel so useless. It will happen fo you for sure.

Unknown said...

come back to Cape Town - its rad. You can hang with me and Lopz's sister (we're like the SA version of Lopz and Socks ;)

Miss T said...

Awh man...sorry hun. You know, if it is that easy to come home to a job hold out til the very last second there in London and just apply for EVERYTHING. One of my mates is an architect which is possibly one of the worst things to be right now besides a banker and she sent out 2000 applications....she eventually did find a great job here in Dublin. There is still hope

The Divine Miss M said...

@po - thing is I can't afford to be unemployed! It sucks.

@claire - it is a deal! If I come back I so am ;) I actually think I met your boyfriend Fish when I was down in December. Ran in to them all at Peddlers the night that G-Days landed.

@miss t - thanks hon, good to know that people are finding jobs!

annie valentine said...

Okay, I know you're almost out of a job and that things are way blue, but I'm still infatuated with the fact that you live in London--I wouldn't want to move either. In my mind your life is fantastically glamorous and full of all things British. I probably spelled British wrong or used in the wrong sentence because I'm just a stupid American and we're never sure of those things, but you get the point.

And the best part? If you move home to cape town I'll be equally impressed.

The Divine Miss M said...

Annie I'm so glamorous right now lying on my couch in a pink dressing gown watching 30 Rock with a snotty nose. ;)

Hey, you've got it all, the husband, the kids, the fantastic writing job!

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side isn't it??