Thursday 29 May 2008

A job that I want

I'm starting to think that the higher up the TV ladder you get the more you get paid but the less you actually do.

Take for example our show that we are making right now.

Episode 1 was in the edit for 4 weeks. The Edit Producer and the Editor put in many hours and even worked weekends and eventually came out with a fantastic end product.

The Commissioner came in, viewed the show and said "I don't like it".

He decided that he wants something different.

So for him we have to push the edits back. Spend more money on the Editor and the Edit Producer and generally all be at panic stations as the schedule and the budget have to be reworked.

Basically that tosser spent 48 minutes watching the show and then has turned out lives completely upside down.

It is the poor Editor who now has to work many more hours to get the show into the state that he wants it. The Editor has to work his butt off and desperately try and make it perfect for some man to come in - spend 48 minutes yet again watching and then nod or shake his head.

And he gets paid thousands for that.

Damn I want that job.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Important job? Little responsibility? Power? Money? ... Where do we sign up?

Unknown said...

You are so right: the high one goes in an organization the more he/she is paid and the less she/he does. Of course, when the show is a flop, it is the dudes at the top who must shoulder the blame.

Jam said...

I suppose it's all kinda fair at the end of the day if they've paid their dues to get there. Not that it always happens that way, but if someone has put in the hours and working weekends in the past to rise to the top, it makes it all seem less unjust.

KaB said...

Erm...aren't people missing the plot...doesn't this mean that hot Edit Producer guy gets to hang around a little longer?!?

Or am I wrong...

Sweets said...

wow... i would also love that job... but i guess it's his head if the show doesn't work right?

Lady Leather said...

I would hate to be the poor Editer in all of this....poor guy (or gal).

And yes, Im asking what Kab just asked...is he sticking round a little longer?

The Divine Miss M said...

@meghan - As soon as I know I'll let you know!

@nick - That is actually so true, after the BBC debacle last year the head had to resign and the ITV telephone scam debacle last year caused loads of problems with the people at the top. You're right. It would suck.

@msmozi - Shush. Stop being the voice of reason.

@kab - Aw you be wrong ... HEP is working on Ep3 - Married Producer is on Ep1 and he sticking around longer, but that is still ok cause we adore him in a weird way :)

@sweets - Ja it is unfortunately, he gets blamed for wasting the money on a show that is utter crap.

@happy snapper - I would too and the Editor is just the most lovely guy ever.

I don't know how much longer HEP is around for but him and I are still slightly fallen out from my point of view ;)

Miss Caught Up said...

Damn, how do I become a commissioner?

Miss P said...

I
want
that
job
!!!!
Please....?
Actually, I like my job. I havent started it yet, but I like the IDEA of it.. we shall see. When you get that job, can I come stay at your mansion?

The Divine Miss M said...

@pdx - Ironically become everyone before who hate the commissioners and then eventually you can become one!

@miss p - I think you'll be there first ;)

The Blonde Blogshell said...

in the meantime, we have to pay our dues blah blah fishpaste. Whatever. So over it.
Hahaha
I agree with Meghan... wehere do we sign up?

kyknoord said...

Sounds like your industry and mine have a lot in common.

The Divine Miss M said...

@blondie - Shall we start out own company? ;)

@kyknoord - Yup. I think we should swap jobs and see if anyone notices.